At Unlocking Language we specialise in providing a range of services to support children with Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN). We work with children aged 0-18 years and young people aged 19-25 years.
Our Toddler, Children & Adolescent Service includes:
- Initial Assessments using a range of formal tests. This determines baseline and gives accurate results of the age performance of the child.
- Comprehensive reports with specific treatment plans
- Measured targets and goals
- Reviews to monitor progress
- Individual tailor-made therapy
- Communication Aid specialist service
- Parent training
- One off assessments e.g. for disability student allowance
- Special Educational Needs assessment & Report
- Evidence based techniques
The children we work with could have a solo speech and language condition:
- Speech and/or language delay
- Speech and/or language disorder
- Specific Language Impairment
- Social-communiction Disorder
- Selective Mutism
- Cleft lip and palate
- Dysfluency (Stammer)
The child may also have a diagnosis such as:
- Autism (ASD)
- Aspergers Syndrome
- Global developmental delay
- Learning Difficulties
- Cerebral Palsy
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Developmental Brain Injury
We offer bespoke individualised therapy programs and work collaboratively with NHS therapists and the educational establishment. We use a range of therapy techniques that are evidence based and successful. These include:
- Talk Tools: TalkTools uses a hierarchical approach and includes visual, auditory, sensory and tactile inputs to help with learning and production of the movements for improved feeding and speech skills.
- AAC (Alternative Augumentative Communication):This term covers ways of communicating that add to, or replace, speech and handwriting with signs or symbols; voice output communication aids (VOCAs) and computer-based technology may also be used. We work in partnership with excellent, leading technogy companies of the country. We offer opportunities for free AAC trials based on your needs.
- PECS: This is the Picture Exchange Communication System. Children are taught to communicate using pictures with a communicative partner.
- Parent Child Interaction Therapy: Developing the skills of parents to teach language through play and every day communication.
Other therapy techniques include TEACCH, Nuffield Dyspraxia, Verbal behaviour analysis (VBA), Cued articulation and manu more.
We also use an extensive range of iPad apps and computer software to make therapy more engaging and fun.
Unlocking Language assess and provide children with a statement of special educational needs. This service includes:
- Comprehensive assessment of speech, language, cognitive – communication skills, social communication skills and written comprehension.
- Comprehensive report for statement (SA1)
- Intervention at school
- Yearly reviews
Therapy can be provided at the clinic, home or school. We can offer sessions that vary from three times a week to weekly, monthly or as required.
Unlocking Langauge can manage a range of paediatric eating and drinking difficulties. This is a highly specialist service. Difficulties we manage are:
- establishing breast and/or bottle feeding
- weaning to solids
- difficulties with the transition to more challenging food textures (eg. gagging with lumps or with finger foods)
- delayed oral-motor (biting and chewing) skills
- neurodevelopmental feeding difficulties
- Behaviour feeding difficulties e.g. Fussy eater
We offer bespoke individualised therapy programs and when required work collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team. We use a range of therapy techniques that are evidence based and successful with a comprehensive risk assessment. In particular we offer:
- Swallow Therapy: A rehabilitative program exercising the oral and/or pharyngeal muscles required for swallowing. This can range from having swallowing ability to mild muscle incompetency.
- Fluid & Food modification modifying oral intake to improve swallow safety and reduce the risk of aspiration. This includes thickening fluids.
- Videofluroscopy: A moving X-ray that looks at the way your swallowing works. It examines what is happening in your mouth and throat when you swallow. It also indentifies ways to make your swallow safer and easier.
- Oral Desensitization/Stimulation Program: Used with clients who have increased sensitivity in their mouths and therefore cannot swallow. This program reduces the sensitivity using a range of techniques such as Facial Oral Tract Technique and Talk Tools.
Applied behavior analysis (ABA) is the use of these techniques and principles to bring about meaningful and positive change in behavior. We have an excellent, well experienced ABA therapist as part of our team to help manage Autism, ADHD and challenging behavior. The combined techniques of speech therapy and ABA therapy result in prompter, efficient and positive outcomes. ABA therapy streamlines behaviors enabling therapy to be more effective. We provide intensive ABA programs with a specialist focus on verbal behaviour.